True to the name, here’s a true meatless dish you can enjoy this Monday!
- 1 (14 oz) regular tofu (Momen Tofu)
- 4 Tbsp corn starch
- pure olive oil (for deep frying)
For the Toppings
- 1 piece green onion
- 1 inch daikon
For the Sauce
- 1 cup dashi stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- Open the tofu package and drain water for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the green onion and grate the daikon.
- Put the tofu on a plate. Cut it into 6 to 8 pieces then microwave it for 3 minutes. Let it cool down and dehydrate.
- In a small saucepan, cook the dashi stock, soy sauce, and mirin on medium heat. Keep it warm.
- In a non-stick frying pan, start heating 1/4 to 1/2 inch of oil on high heat.
- Dredge the tofu in the corn starch. When the oil is around 340-350°F, place it gently on the frying pan.
- Deep-fry the tofu until it becomes lightly brown or crispy.
- Transfer the tofu on to a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- To serve, place the tofu on a serving bowl then pour the sauce on it.
- Garnish it with grated daikon (raddish will also do) and green onion
Photo from Wikimedia Commons