True to the name, here’s a true meatless dish you can enjoy this Monday!
- 1 head small cauliflower, leaves removed and broken into small florets
- 1 head broccoli, broken into small florets
For the Cheese Sauce
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 500 ml low fat milk
- 100 g cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp chives (or spring onions)
- In a very large saucepan, cook the cauliflower in boiling salted water for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and cook for 3 minutes more. Drain well and transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a small pan.
- When foaming, add the flour and mustard powder. Cook it for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Turnoff the heat and add the milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly to get rid of any lumps.
- Once half the milk has been added, return on the heat and add the remaining milk.
- Keep stirring, bring it to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes until it’s thickened and smooth.
- Add most of the cheese and some seasoning. Turn off the heat and add the chives.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Photo from Wikimedia Commons